Sunday, November 2, 2014

REVIEW: Icon 2014 (Day Two)

Before I start the review, I wish to apologize to my readers for taking this long to write the review. A combination of schoolwork, school preparations, and procrastination all contributed to this being two weeks late. I'm sorry, and will endeavor to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

UPDATE: The videos were for some reason not working on mobile phones, so I changed the way they are viewed; it should be better now.

So I wake up in the morning, a little tired, and a little sore, since I was sleeping on the floor. And then I see this:


I was a little surprised to see the amount of people sleeping in the room, since last year I awoke to less people. Huh.

Anyways, I got dressed, prayed, got my things together, and then once again, left my stuff by the Hotaru booth and wandered for a bit.

What? Did you expect me to have a witty comment for every picture?

After some wandering, I headed over to the the games section. where people were playing Magic: The Gathering and other games. I found someone to play with (someone I had met at a convention on Pesach), and finally got to make use of my cards. 


The first game was a bust. I had no land cards of the appropriate color, so a majority of my hand was useless, and thus I lost. During the second game, I was doing okay, until I said something, in which he thought I meant I was leaving. He had put away all his cards, and we had to start over. In game 2.5, I was winning. No, I was crushing him when someone asked the entire room if anyone wanted to play a game called Pandemic. So he left.

I win!

I had another game of MTG with a bunch of pros, who proceeded to blow me out of the water. I ended up losing last, but only because the other guy was mad at his friend, and so had decided to take him out first. Lucky me.

After that, I went out for a bit, and met some friends of mine, who were going to put on a lightsaber duel later. For some reason, one of them was not impressed. Then I found Yael Geller of Hot-Cocoa Cosplay again, and took another picture of and with her! This time, she was dressed as Mystique, with a friend dressed as Nightcrawler.



After that, I went to a lecture about living forever, which was 16 minutes late (of course), and I didn't realize was on that topic beacuse I didn't pay too much attention to the title. Once again, my four hours of sleep (plus sleeping on an uncomfortable floor the night before) helped me to doze half my way through the lecture. It also kept switching back and forth between a philosophical debate and scientific possibilities, which helped to lose my interest. 


In the end, I ended up leaving a little early, since I needed a break. I got more books, met more people I know, got my picture taken, and had someone else recognize me! All in the space of 40 minutes, at which point my next lecture started. This one was all about ways to improve the way a Dungeon Master gets players hooked in the world they have created. Or something like that. I was in and out of this one too, to my dismay; the bits that I was awake for were quite interesting. The lecturer was cracking jokes the entire time, and making liberal use of gestures. He also had these great poses:




Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him.

Afterwards, I bought some coffee, then bought more books, And then did the smart thing this time and got a chair for the costume competition. A friend of mine kept me company, and helped me realize that the crowd was much bigger than last year's competition - both the current and previous day. Go figure. 




The competition started at 16:32 (4:32 PM for you Americans), and it was great! I almost ran out of batteries; luckily, my friend got them from my bag and handed them to me, so I didn't miss taking anything. Behold the costume competition of Day Two!






























Afterwards, I left to go see if I could finally get a picture with Chen Moyal, getting recognized as Dresden again along the way.


And some Deadpool pictures!

Didn't we see this one already?

There can only be one!

The day was fading, but things were still happening. Like the time warp:


And after that, we had a nice treat: Japanese floating laterns!


After that, I had to prep my bag to get ready to leave; while I still had some time left, I wanted to be able to leave right away, since I would have just made it to the bust stop. Unfortunately for me, the lightsaber duel got pushed off until 8, so I stayed longer than planned. I got another request for a picture, which I obliged. I took a few more pictures and a video of Philippines weapons fighting in the interim:

The cake...isn't a lie?




The most awesome picture you will ever see

I barely took anything during this time, since I had no spare batteries left, and I wanted to save everything for the lightsaber duel to come. I just sat and watched things happening, and chatted with a few people. I even got another request for a picture! Things were feeling good.

Sadly, the duel was not to be. Due to a miscommunication between coordinators, a band had been scheduled to play instead. There was a rush to try to set things straight, but in the end...it didn't happen. Three months of preparation, days taken off, other things...sigh.

To blow off some steam, the guys fought for a bit. Here's a teaser of what might have been:



And after that, I had to leave to catch my bus. Two days of fun, and yet I was already missing it. I had had an amazing time, and there really wasn't anything to complain about (except maybe the prices of the events and the duel thing). I can't wait for next year!

(The full album for day one and two can be found here)

If you are aware of any convention taking place here in Israel, or some other interesting event taking place, please notify me, and I will do my best to report on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment